Town Square Jeweler’s Appraisal Services
Town Square Jewelers offers jewelry appraisals on-site. Our appraiser, Anne Epstein-Jeffres, is a graduate gemologist and a member of both the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers (NAJA) and the Gemological Institute of America (GIA). Anne takes scheduled appraisals and consignment assessments twice a month.
Why would I need an appraisal?
1. Insurance purposes
Insurance policies protect your high dollar jewelry investment from theft, damage, and loss. As a result, before issuing a policy, most insurance providers require that jewelry pieces receive a certified appraisal. Over time, fine jewelry values can change drastically. Because of this, most insurance providers require jewelry pieces to receive appraisal updates every 1 – 3 years.
2. Estate and tax purposes
The IRS requires estate appraisals for any jewelry inherited through a will and for Federal tax purposes. Estate jewelry must be valued according to Fair Market Value instead of replacement cost.
3. Jewelry catalogs and authentication
Over time, you may acquire numerous jewelry pieces without any history or recorded value. As a consequence, Town Square Jewelers offers jewelry appraisals for the following purposes.
- First, for creating a personal jewelry catalog to list and identify all of your jewelry pieces with pictures and values.
- Secondly, for authenticating, naming, and valuing any unknown jewelry pieces.
- Finally, for clearing-up questions about family treasures and heirlooms.
How does the appraisal process work?
- First, with the exception of earrings, each jewelry piece requires a separate appraisal. For example, an engagement ring and a wedding band count as two pieces.
- Secondly, each jewelry appraisal appointment requires a thirty minute time slot.
- Third, all appraisals must be scheduled and paid-for in advance.
- Next, one appraisal costs $80; each additional piece costs $60 (**Note: consignment appraisals for in-store resale begin at $20).
- Finally, booked appraisals are non-refundable unless cancelled within 48 hours of appointment day.